Low Fat Baked Shakarpara [Sweet Dough Cookies]

I found this recipe at sanjeevkapoor.com. I followed pretty much what he did except replaced 1/2 cup of clarified butter[ghee] with 1 tbsp ghee and 1/4 cup of canola oil. Also used whole wheat bleached flour instead a mix of regular wheat flour and all purpose flour [maida].

My Shakarparas came out very good, almost melts in the mouth. Its really a guilt free snack, enjoy ....




Ingredients:

Bleached whole flour* - 1 cup
Canola oil - 1/4 cup
Clarified butter [ghee]- 1tbsp
Powdered Sugar** - 4 tbsp
Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Crushed fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp

Method:

  • Mix all the ingredients and make a soft dough using cold water. Cover the dough and leave it to set for 30 minutes. Pinch the dough into five balls and roll each ball one at a time into 0.5 cm thick chapati like sheet [use flour dust to ease the rolling process]
  • Using knife or pizza cutter cut the sheet into the form of diamond and place it over greased baking tray. Repeat the same process with other dough balls.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit. These cookies cook very fast. Keep an eye on them else they turn brown. Cool them and store in air-tight container
  • This dish makes a great cookie for toddlers [ around 3y]. Its low in fat and refined flour and above all its home baked!

My Notes:

* You can also use 1/2 cup regular whole flour + 1/2 cup All purpose flour
** If you like sweetness on the higher side add 5 tbsp of sugar. Mine came out just sweet, on the lighter side

In the past I have made it without adding any amount of ghee and my shakarparas didn't come out this great, I think adding just 1 tbsp of ghee makes lot of difference to the texture

Event Participation

Health Nut Challenge 2 - Guilt Free Snacks by Yasmeen

Food for 7 stages of Life – Infants and Toddlers (0-3 yrs)’ by Radhika of Sourashtra Kitchen and Sudeshna of Cook Like A Bong
Sunday Snack Event - Festive Snacks of Navratri and Diwali hosted by Indrani

Comments

Unknown said…
Great recipe for toodlers..looks amazing!!Thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
Renu, they look so good. Melt in your mouth i can see from the texture in the photo. Re your question on Mango, it is available in Indian grocery store here. You can use any oil Sesame, Mustard or Canola. Personally i love the flavor of sesame and so use it in pickles.
It has turned out great.Yummy.
Poornima Nair said…
The shakarpara looks yumm. I too made them this Diwali, though I fried it. Gonna try this next time.
Priya Suresh said…
Wow can believe that these beauties are baked..looks prefect Renu..
Renus Kitchen said…
@ Poornima
Yeah, try baking them it came out very good this time...
Ann said…
Wow.. it looks soo tempting I sure wanna give a try!
Red Chillies said…
Awesome recipe! i loved the idea of baking these and the recipe seems so easy.
Lovely shankarpara..and that too low fat version is some what tempting me..
Lovely shankarpara..and that too low fat version is some what tempting me..
Suparna said…
Hi Renu,
The shankarparas look perfect.
Baking is a better option to frying.
I too love sanjeev kapoor's recipes.
Nice click, neat post.
God Bless
TC
Sanghi said…
Mmm.. yum yum snack..!
Sushma Mallya said…
liked this baked version a lot..will try this one soon as this look much better than the fried ones...looks lovely..thanks renu for dropping by and leaving a lovely comment..hope to c u more often
Chitra said…
My mom makes this but baked version is new to me and sounds healthy .Nice !!
Parita said…
This is my kind of snacks, so healthy and guilt free :-)
Tina said…
Healthy and delicious shakarpara.
my kitchen said…
Good one,Melting in mouth>Do visit my blog when u r free
Suganya said…
Very nice to see a low fat sweet dish. Love it. YUM!
shahana said…
Its my favorite.Thanks a lot for shakarpara recipe.Will try it soon.
Yasmeen said…
Crunchy munchy,the baked shakarpara sounds healthy,thanks for sharing :D
Shakthi said…
Hi Renu... I tried your shakkarpara .. but it does not look so pluffy as yours... it is so flat. how to fix it?
Sujatha said…
Thanks for the wonderful recipe. As you said it melted in my mouth.