Apple Cinnamon Cake - Zero Oil , Zero Sugar and Eggless - Depression Cake

Call it Depression Cake or War Cake or Wacky Cake

Depression cakes originated during the time of Great Depression when ingredients were in shortage. Our recent pandemic has created similar situation. Hence this recipe comes handy when you don’t have enough ingredients in your pantry.

I was quite skeptical of the outcome as the recipe excluded oil and sugar.....and to my surprise the cake came out soft and perfectly moist. You will not believe it’s 0 oil cake!
 
On the sweetness side, I thought it wouldn't hurt to add some sugar to satisfy my sweet tooth !! 





Ingredients

All purpose flour - 1.5 cup
Whole wheat flour - 0.5 cup
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg powder -1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Date paste - 1/2 cup
Brown sugar - 1/2 cup ( optional, but I recommend it as my bread didn’t turn as sweet as I would have liked)
Milk - 1/2 cup
Apple sauce - 1 cup
Vinegar - 1 tsp
Vanilla - 1/4 tsp
Raisins - handful

Method

Date paste - cook 8-10 medjool dates in water for 10 minutes. Cool and de-seed them to make a paste. Add more dates if you want to avoid adding sugar. The amount I used did not add enough sweetness by itself. 

Apple sauce - boil 3 apples with some cinnamon and 2 tbsp sugar. Cool and make paste

Mix all of the above ingredients minus resins in a food processor. In the end fold in the raisins.

Pour the batter in greased baking tin.

Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.



Comments