Panchmel daal comes from the state of Rajasthan in India. It is made by combining five lentils in different ratios. The mixed flavor and texture of the lentils offer unique taste and feel to the daal.
Toor daal (arhar daal) - 1 cup
Yellow moong daal - 1/2 cup
Spilt green moong daal - 1/2 cup
Dhooli urad daal (white) - 2 tbsp
Chana daal - 1/4 cup
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Seasoning:Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida (heeng)- a dash
Whole cloves - 2-3
Black pepper - 4-5 seeds, coarsely grounded
Dry whole red chili - 1 (optional)
Ginger - 1 tsp, grated (optional)
Garlic - 1 tsp , grated (optional)
Tomato - 1/2 cup, chopped
Onion - 1/2 cup, chopped
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cilantro springs - 3-4
- Soak all the daals together for 30-60 minutes.
- Pressure cook daal with turmeric and salt for 2 whistles. Turn off the heat and let the cooker release pressure on its own.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee, add cumin and mustard seeds one after the another till it crackles.
- Add a dash of heeng , followed by whole red chili, ground cloves and black pepper (At this stage you can add all the optional ingredients).
- Pour the seasoning on the daal. Garnish with chopped cilantro and close the lid of the cooker to absorb the flavors.
- This daal goes well with roti and rice.