Mujadara, a protein packed middle eastern rice and lentils dish garnished with fried onions.
Whole red lentils 3/4 cup
Rice - 3/4 cup
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ground cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Ginger - 1 inch, finally chopped
Garlic - 3-4 cloves, finally chopped
Onions - 3-4, medium , sliced
- Soak lentils for 1-2 hours in advance or soak for 30 minute in warm water
- Heat oil, add cumin sees and let it splatter (use saute mode in instant pot)
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and some sliced onion and saute for 1 -2 minute
- Add spices, salt followed by soaked lentils. Add enough water and cook lentils for 10 minutes until lentils are cooked al dente.
- Now add pre-soaked rice. (at this point cancel saute mode if you are cooking in instant mode)
- Add enough water and pressure cook for 1 whistles or cook at rice mode in instant pot.
- Natural release pressure
- Prepare crisp fried onion by sauteing in a pan or air-frying for 15 minutes at 350F temperature.
- To serve
- Spread the fluffed rice lentil mix in the serving dish and top it with crispy fried onions.
- Serve with salad and mint raita (mint yogurt dip)