Eggplant-Potoes Curry with Pancphoran
Baby eggplant – 6
Potatoes – 1, large
Ginger – 1 inch
Garlic – 3-4 cloves
Tomatoes – 2 medium
Onion – 1 medium
Green pepper – 1
Asafoteda (heeng) – 2 dashes
Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
1. Cumin – 1tsp
2. Mustard seed – 1 tsp
3. Fennel seed – 1 tsp
4. Nigella (kalonji) – 1 tsp
5. Fenugreek seed – ½ tsp
Cilantro leaves for garnishing
Instant Pot Method
1. Dice potatoes and eggplants (potatoes are diced smaller than eggplants to ensure they both cook equally well)
2. Roughly chop onions and tomatoes
3. Turn on Instant pot at saute mode on medium heat. Add oil and let it warm.
4. Add panchphoran mix and heeng followed by crushed ginger, garlic, green pepper.
5. Next add onions and saute for 1 minute.
6. Add chopped tomatoes. Add salt and cook for a minute on sauté mode.
7. Add chopped eggplant, potatoes and coriander powder.
8. Cancel sauté mode. Put the lid back on the IP and seal the valve. Cook on medium for 3 minutes. Natural release pressure and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Stove Top Method
1. Replace instant pot with pressure cooker and follow the above recipe. I usually add some water to prevent from charring. Cook for 1 whistle on medium heat. Quick release pressure and cook further without lid until the potatoes are tender to fork.