Pitted dates, chopped - 1 cup
Hot water - 1 cup
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Baking powder - 1.5 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Butter, unsalted - 1/2 cup
Egg - 1
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Walnuts - 1/2 cup
- Soak dates in hot water and salt for 15 minutes and then grind into paste.
- Grease 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan.
- Pre-heat oven at 350 F (180 C)
- Chop walnuts and coat with some all purpose flour and keep it aside.
- In a dry bowl mix all the ingredients under 'dry ingredients'.
- In a food processor whisk the liquid ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture and chopped dates to the food processor and process until combined.
- In the end add the chopped walnuts.
- Transfer the contents in the loaf pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the bread before slicing.
- you can make date paste instead of chopping
- replace egg with 1 cup milk for eggless cake,