Daliya (broken wheat) - 1cup
Onions - 1/2 cup, sliced
Tomatoes - 1/4 cup, chopped
Ginger - 1 inch, chopped
Green chilies - to taste
Mixed veggies - 1 cup (chopped carrot, chopped beans, peas, chopped bell peppers )
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1-2 springs
Lemon - juice of fresh small lemon
Cashew nuts - handful or more
Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
Water - 2 cup
- Dry roast dalia and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a cooker and add mustard oil when the oil is hot. The seeds will start to crackle.
- Add curry leave, onions, green chilies and ginger. Saute' onions till translucent. Add chopped onions and cook for sometimes.
- Next add all the spices, including salt, chopped vegetables and nuts.
- Saute' everything for 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook on medium to high heat till one whistle.
- Once the pressure is released, fluff the cooked daliya and squeeze lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve.
- Serve war or cold with yogurt.
- If dalia is still not cooked, add more water and pressure cook it for one more whistle
- Always add lemon juice to warm (not hot) food, otherwise the food will taste bitter.