Back then when I was growing up, carrots were only available during winters and I would wait for winters so that my mom could make a huge batch of gajar ka halwa with lots of ghee and nuts. Those were the times when I could eat these delicacies and not gain a pound.
Carrots - 2 cup grated
Sugar - 1/2 - 3/4 cup
Milk - just enough to cover the carrots
Raisins, Cashews - handful
Desiccated coconut, grated - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - as needed
- Wash, peel and grate carrots
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in heavy bottom pan.
- Saute raisins and cashews at low heat.
- Add the grated carrots to the pan and saute for 43-5 minutes.
- Add whole milk, just enough to cover the carrots.
- Cook on medium heat.
- Constantly stir the mixture to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add sugar just before it is completely dry.
- Add more ghee to finish frying.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder and garnish with coconut.
- Serve warm or cold.