Sweet Boondi (Besan Boondi)

Sweet Boondi, always reminds me of this one Hanuman ji's temple in my hometown, which we often visited as kids. The main attraction for me was the sweet colorful boondi prasaad we got after offering our prayers. I still remember the juicy and delicious taste.

I googled for the recipe and combined many ideas to create this one. Well, to tell you the truth, my boondies were not even close to what I was trying to make, BUT, it was still yummy !!! I guess you can never go wrong when sugar is the main ingredient :) The boondies were not juicy but crispy and delicious. Everyone in family liked it.
Now when I think what might have gone wrong, I feel I over fried the boondies and should reduce the thread consistency of sugar syrup. Readers, please pour in your suggestions.

sweet boondi

Ingredients:

Boondi
Besan (Gram flour) - 1.5 cups
Baking powder - a pinch
Salt - a pinch


Sugar Syrup
Sugar - 1 1/4 cup
Water - just enough to cover sugar

Flavoring
Cloves - 1-2 pieces
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp 

Method:
  •  Pour sugar in a wide mouthed pan. Add water just enough to cover the sugar syrup and cook till the syrup has 2 string consistency. Add cloves to the finished syrup and keep it aside.
  • Mix ingredients under boondi and make a paste of thick consistency with water.
  •  Heat oil. Pour spoonful of batter on a slotted ladles and rub it gently so that the batter drops in the hot oil in the form of small droplets (boondi).
  • Fry the boondies until crispy. 
  • Warm the sugar syrup and immerse the fried bondies in it. Mix gently. Add some cardamom powder and let the boodies absorb the syrup (sugar may crystallize on the surface of boodies).
  •  Cool and they are ready to eat.




Comments

love it...
looks very tempting :)
Priya Suresh said…
Seriously feel like munching some, very inviting sweet boondis.
Vanamala Hebbar said…
looks perfect and yummy