Indian Eggplant - 5-6 small, washed
Vegetable oil - 4-5 tbsp
Dry SpicesGaram Masala - 1/2 tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 tbsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp or more
Salt - as per taste
Dry Mango Powder (Khatai / Amchur)- 1 tbsp
Cumin Powder (Jeera) - 2 tbsp
Turmeric -1/4 tsp
- Thoroughly wash the eggplants and wipe it with the paper towel
- Mix all the spices and adjust the quantities to suit your taste. Remember to add little more salt than you usually do, as when stuffing goes in eggplant, amount of salt is normalized.
- Slit the eggplants into 4 segments from bottom to top, leaving the top intact.
- Stuff the spice mixture into the eggplant and keep it aside (Optional: you may also want to tie thread around stuffed eggplants to secure the stuffing from coming out. I don't do that and stuffed eggplants come out great.)
- Heat the oil. Add all the stuffed eggplants and let it cook covered on low to medium heat.
- In between, gently stir the stuffed eggplants to change sides from time to time.
- Keep cooking till the eggplant feels soft from inside and skin turns crispy.
- Serve it with rice and arhar tadka daal