Biscotti is a twice baked cake originated in Italy. They are best eaten by dunking in hot coffee on a rainy day :) They are large crunchy, dry cakes and very very easy to bake. This is a tried and tested recipe from Joy of Baking .
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Eggs - 2 large
Sugar - 2/3 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Toasted almonds - 1/2 cup
Semi-sweet chocolate chips - 1/4 cups
- Set the oven 350 degrees F.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper or foil. (don't use wax paper in place of parchment paper. I did it and it was smokey inside the oven)
- Beat eggs and sugar at high speed for 5 minutes. Now add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl sieve flour, baking powder and salt at least 2 times.
- Now pour egg mixture and beat until mixed.
- Fold in toasted almonds and chocolate chips
- Transfer the dough on baking sheet and form a log ~ 12 inches long and 3.5 inches wide. The dough will be sticky, dampen your hands to form the log.
- Bake for 25 minutes or till it is firm to touch
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 min
Baking Step 2
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Cut the above baked log into 3 inches slices diagonally
- Place these pieces on the greased baking tray and bake for 10 min. Turn the slices and bake for another 10 minutes till they are golden color.
- Remove from the oven, cool and store in an airtight container.